This is a basic beef stock made from scratch. Definitely more nutritious than any store-bought stocks, especially since you know the quality of ingredients that goes into it. We use it for everything!
Yield: 3 to 4 Litres
- 8 lb. Beef Bones, cut into 3 or 4″ pieces
- 8 L Cold Water
- 1 lb. Onions, Chopped
- ½ lb. Carrots, Chopped
- ½ lb. Celery, Chopped
- 5.5 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Thyme Sprigs
- ¼ tsp Peppercorns
- 8 Parsley Sprigs
- 2 Whole Cloves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place bones in a roasting pan and brown in oven, approximately 60 minutes.
- Remove bones from pan and place in a stockpot, cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes, skimming off any scum.
- Drain the bones and replace with fresh cold water, bringing it back to a simmer.
- Toss the vegetables in the drippings in the roasting pan and brown in the oven.
- Add the vegetables, tomato paste and herbs and continue simmering for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain using cheesecloth and cool in a water bath.
- Discard the scum & solids.
- If not using immediately, refrigerate and/or freeze.
I actually use a metal coffee filter to strain my stock instead of cheesecloth, it works really well and I can wash it and use it again.
- 16 Reasons You Should Eat More Bone Broth! (paleo.com.au)