I have really been in the mood for some New England Clam Chowder, but lets face it chowder is hardly a Paleo friendly dish. Unless cauliflower and butternut squash are the base for this dairy-free soup.
Serving: 3 litres
- 3-142 g cans Minced Clams
- 1 L Water
- 5 (125g) Bacon strips
- 4 (200g) Onions
- 1 Cauliflower Head
- 1/2 Butternut Squash, small
- 2 c (500 ml) Fish Stock (or Poe Boy’s chicken stock)
- 1-400 ml can Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk
- 2 Bay Leafs
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 Bacon strips
- 3 Green onions
- Drain the clams, being sure to save the juice (If using fresh clams, chop them up).
- Peel and remove seeds from butternut squash and chop into cube size pieces.
- Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces.
- Dice up onions and cut bacon into small pieces.
- Combine clam juice and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- In a large pot (this pot needs to hold all the chowder) sauté the bacon over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft (do not brown).
- Remove onion-bacon mix and set to the side. Add clam juice, cauliflower and butternut squash to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until tender (if vegetables aren’t covered, add more water).
- Using an emmersion blender, purée the cauliflower mixture smooth consistency (if you do not have an emmersion blender, transfer in batches to a food processor).
- Stir in clams, bacon & onions, fish stock, coconut milk and bay leafs.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- (optional) Garnish with fresh bacon bits and green onions.
The longer you allow the chowder to simmer, the thicker it will become. However this chowder tastes even better 24 hours later!
- Raw Butternut Squash Slaw (marksdailyapple.com)
- Cauliflower and Cashew Soup (paleoaholic.com)
- Paleo Comfort Foods – Clams Casino Recipe (paleocomfortfoods.com)